Thursday, June 04, 2009

ACTING!!!

So, my theatre roots run pretty deep, and mom has always wanted me to get back into community theatre. Everywhere I have lived, my job usually does not allow me the time to do such activities. Well, I am in the Rotary Club here in Elk City, and a woman who runs the theatre, Shonda Currell, is also a member. She gave a program on the theatre and all the productions they had performed the previous year. When she was finished, she was sitting at my table, and I asked her more about the theatre and what they do. I told her a little about my background, and that I would be interested in something fun came up. However, I made it clear that I do NOT sing. Anyone close to me can attest to that! So...a couple of months go by and she sends me an e-mail about a play coming up, and that she needs some strong female roles (no singing), and wanted to let me know when auditions were. So I went, and the next day, I get the casting call...she wants me to play middle sister Meg in Crimes of the Heart.

So, for anyone who wants to venture to Western Oklahoma the last week of June at 7 pm each night...twice on Sunday, I will be the sister Meg. She went off to Hollywood to try and make it as a singer, but failed. She has come back home because of a tragedy in her family...her little sister has shot her own husband. I cuss, I drink, I SMOKE, and I get to be the comic relief in a drama. They did make a movie in the early 80s, so I am still looking for that...just because I'm curious. Anyhoo...wish me luck, or break a leg, or whatever they say nowadays. We all know I'm not afraid to make a fool of myself on stage, I'm just hoping I don't forget pertinent lines. OOOOH, and I forgot the most drastic thing...they are making me a brunette!!! I'm kind of excited because I've always had a "hankering" to dye my hair a chocolate brown, but I've been too scared. I told them I would dye it, but instead they have purchased wigs for all of us. It's set in the 70s, so the shoes are big, the dresses are wild, and I'm sure I'll have some sort of Farrah Faucett hair....should be fun!!!

You can check out the Red Carpet Community Theatre here... www.rcct.org

2 comments:

Jesse said...

I will SO be there! I'm SO excited! Good for you Kell!!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
How fantastic, I would love to see you perform. I have seen the movie, it is funny and sad. I know you'll be perfect as Meg. A brunette, very interesting. Sorry I missed you when I was in OK.
Love,
Cheryl