Monday, April 06, 2009

REPAY THE SCHOLARSHIP!!!

OK, so to be honest, I really don't care about women's basketball. It bores me. I don't think it is near as exciting as watching men. HOWEVER...it IS the NCAA Tournament, and the OU women ARE in the Final Four....so last night I watched. I had heard the stories about Courtney Paris...how she thinks she is so fantastic, and they brought here here to "win championships", so if they don't win, she will repay her scholarship...once she gets onto a team in the WNBA. My first impression was this...that cocky, ungrateful chic. My second impression was this...the women in the WNBA do not make NEAR the money that the men do (again, the excitement part), so how many YEARS will she forego a salary to pay back the University for her scholarship (which probably costs more for one year than she will earn in one year). But I digress...I have never watched her play, maybe she is the goddess of basketball. So I watched last night, and we lost, but there was more behind it than the L. I don't mind losing (ok, I mind it, but I can live with it), in any sport, as long as we get BEAT, or OUTPLAYED. But not when we play like crap. Every other girl on that team, especially the freshman Hand, was playing their hearts out...everyone except Ms. Goddess Courtney. I was shocked to see the overweight player on our team (and yes, I can comment on someone's weight, since I'm not a bean pole). Yes, she is a big girl, but they were commenting on how her twin sister actually participated in the conditioning program and had lost 20 pounds over the summer. She looked AWESOME!!! It amazes me that athletes that run and play so much, can carry that much weight. This is what I saw last night. This glorified athlete, was the last player down the court....on both ends...she missed nearly every shot...even though she was right underneath the basket...and she can't make free shots. WHY IS THIS GIRL SO POPULAR??!?!?!? So yes, Ms. Courtney, because I think the media has given you a way bigger head than you should have...PAY BACK THE SCHOLARSHIP!! I mean that from the bottom of my heart, from someone who did NOT get a scholarship to OU but had to work just as hard to get through, if not more.

No comments: